Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Whole Lot of Driving

I've been doing a lot of driving the past four weekends. It started with my mom breaking her hip. Since she was going to be recuperating for an extended period of time, I didn't want to leave her car sitting in Sacramento. So we loaded up the kids and drove up to Sacramento. I then visited my mom with her car while Vic drove the kids back in my car.

Then the following weekend, we visited my mom up in a Rehab place in Petaluma. I took the kids by myself. Luckily my mom didn't have a roommate at the time so it was fine to hang out in her room for a while and then wander up and down the hall way. After about an hour I took the kids to a nearby park to run around for awhile before heading back so they slept the whole way home.

Last weekend, my mom got to go to her sister's house in Santa Rosa so we took the kids up for another visit, and this time Vic came along. Gina was getting antsy while we were driving through the City so I suggested she look for signs with the letter A. Her response was : Why should I do that? Obviously we haven't played too many games in the car.

And now this weekend, we drove up to Sacramento to celebrate Vic's father's 80th birthday. We actually got on the road before 9am which was a record and we made it up there just before noon, in time for lunch at the Red Lobster restaurant. We made our usual stop in Fairfield, more coffee for Vic and me and a trip through Petco for the kids to look at the animals The kids were very well behaved at the restaurant though Dylan was getting tired at the end. Once he had finished eating, he did not want to sit at the table so we visited the lobster tank and the fish tank a lot.

Hopefully all these car trips are good preparation for our big driving trip in July: up to Seattle for a few days and then to Montana.

No comments: