Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Elephant Seals

Last week Gina was off from school for ski week. We didn't go skiing but we did do a few fun things since we had some friends visiting from Seattle. The weather for President's weekend was great, sunny and very nice. However on Tuesday, the weather reverted back to being more like Seattle, gray, cold and wet, a great day for heading to the coast to view elephant seals at Ano Nuevo.


It was raining a little as we were driving along Highway 1 but it wasn't bad once we got to the reserve. I realized once we got there that I really hadn't brought enough warm clothes for Gina but luckily I had a jacket that I had borrowed from my mom in the back. So Gina was swimming in the jacket but she stayed warm and dry.

Once we got out to where we meet the docent who leads the tour it started to rain a little and as we walked out to the elephant seals it started raining more. It was cold and windy and wet but we got great views of all the males and baby seals (the moms had mostly left the beaches at this point). They were making lots of noises and moving around more than if it had been sunny.
Gina seemed to have a good time and was a real trooper walking back. I gave her a short piggy back ride but she walked most of the way without a break. And afterwards, we all met at Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero for hot cocoa, artichoke soup and olallieberry pie.

No comments: